An accomplished International Agribusiness Development Specialist and Scientist.
- Former Minister of Agriculture in Iraq.
- Special advisor to the Abu Dhabi Food Control Authority.
- Consultant to several international development entities.
- Acclaimed researcher with more than 60 scientific publications.
2009 – 2019: Consultant, Abu Dhabi Food Control Authority
Provided expertise and guidance to decision makers within ADFCA on issues of strategic importance. Prepared strategic studies upon the request of the administration in the field of local product contribution to the market and fodder subsidies and food security. In addition, oversaw and conducted research on animal breeding and alternative feed and veterinary medicine.
2007 – 2009: Agribusiness Consultant (Coffey International Development), Dubai
Worked on agriculture and agribusiness assignments in the Middle East Including:
- Conducted study on the animal health and quarantine systems of the UAE. The study was a key part of the new strategy of the Ministry of Environment and Water.
- Worked as the Livestock Specialist to assess the financial and technical feasibility of a large-scale agricultural investment in Sudan.
- Conducted a pre-feasibility study of a large scale private investment in southern Egypt investment in agriculture.
- Assisted with the design of a Farmers’ Association in Abu Dhabi.
2006 – 2007: Agribusiness consultant DAI (USA), Iraq
Conducted focus groups with the largest agribusinesses from across Iraq to determine the most important obstacles to development.
2006: Policy analyst/Team Leader NIRAS (Denmark), Iraq
Led a team of professionals to identify and evaluate agricultural and trade policy as it relates to Iraq’s transition to a market-based agricultural economy.
2005 -2006: Livestock Component Manager, Agriculture Reconstruction and Development Program for Iraq (ARDI); DAI USA. As a core member of ARDI’s management team, provided technical assistance to develop, monitor and manage a program to improve livestock production in Iraq.
2004 – 2005: Minister of Agriculture, Republic of Iraq
Appointed by the UN. Responsible for the recovery and development of the agricultural sector for the Interim Iraqi Government.
2003 – 2004: Member of Administrative Committee, Ministry of Agriculture and Deputy Minister of Agriculture, Republic of Iraq.
1984 – 2003: Senior Scientific Researcher with 60 scientific published papers, Scientific
Research Council and Ministry of Agriculture, Iraq.
Ph.D., Animal Breeding (minor in statistics), 1983
Iowa State University, USA
M.Sc., Animal Breeding | 1981
Iowa State University, USA
B.Sc., Animal Production | 1977
University of Baghdad, Iraq.
- Harvard Business School; Agribusiness Seminar, 2009
- Darden Executive Education Programs at the University of Virginia; Managing Individual and Organizational Change, 2010.
- Loyola University Chicago; Project Management Certificate Program, 2012.